What I have been reading Wednesday


      My family taught me from a young age that reading was important, that you could learn anything from books.  As a child I remember my grandfathers' love of books.  When I would visit their homes I would search through their bookshelves, flipping through all of the pages to find a new book to read.

     I have always loved books, they transported me to a whole new world and opened my eyes to so many more possibilities.  I love all books, the fiction, fantasy,. history, memoirs, and especially the cookbooks!

     I read cookbooks from cover to cover, daydreaming as I go.  I think of the occasions that I might make these special dishes, a family get together, girls night, a birthday, a date?  Who knows?

     Many, many nights I have fallen asleep in bed with my knitting, books and reading glasses curled up next to me.  There is something so soothing about being able to decompress and escape though reading.

    I know I talk a lot about the fire, its still very fresh in my mind, and I am still rebuilding from that event.  I sometimes thing of the things that I lost.  The beautiful picture of the Houston LDS Temple that my dear friend in Utah made for me, that's right, she drew that all by hand and painted if for me.  Or I think of the quilt that was one of my prized possessions that two of my sister in laws made for me when I was having a tough time.  I loved to curl up in it, it felt like a hug.   Or my sweet terra cotta nativity set from Peru that was one of my favorite Christmas Decorations.

     When I moved back to Texas  few years ago my brother was amazing and helped me make the move from Salt Lake City back to Texas.  So many things went wrong on that move, and my brother was so patient and kind to help me every step of the way.   Now big brothers no matter how kind always have a way of counseling little sisters when they think little sister is out of control.  Apparently the box after box of books was out of control.   My entire second bedroom was nothing but bookshelves with books, heavy books.  I explained to him my love of cookbooks and how much I enjoyed them, he mentioned something about downsizing, not really quite sure because I was tuning that out.

     Well in honor of my brother I found a website last month that I have fallen in love with, www.ckbk.com  You definitely need to check it out.  Its a website of curated cookbooks!  You pay a monthly subscription fee, and then you have access to hundreds and hundreds of cookbooks, good cookbooks, like the ones with the glossy pictures and everything.  Right now I don't have the funds to replace all of the cookbooks I lost, its just not feasible, as much as I would love it.  I can however afford the subscription fee of 5 dollars a month, just five dollars a month to have access to hundred of cookbooks!  I have been searching the website since I joined, and I have to say I LOVE it.  Its very user friendly and a great selection and the price is great as well, it also means that my days of heavy cookbook boxes to be oved might not ever happen again, we will see.  Take a look a the website and tell me what you think.


 


Comments

Norma said…
Ha ha, I can totally hear that conversation between you and James!

Popular Posts