Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A fresh new start...Weight Watchers here I come!...

     I have jumped all in and made a decision to join Weight Watchers.  Yes, I know a lot of you think it is for middle aged frumpy ladies,...its not!  Maintaining a consistent weight isn't something that I am amazing at, it fluctuates wildly.  So this hopefully is the year I can get to a healthy weight and maintain it.

     I have been scouring the web for healthy recipes, and meal planning suggestions, even created a Pinterest board to help sort my ideas, but I will admit it feels a little overwhelming.  Can't I just have my loaded mash potatoes, bacon, ice cream and Dr. Pepper and still lose weight?  Apparently not.  Super sad it doesn't work that way.  But I am trying to focus on why I am doing this.  I am doing this to be the best possible me, to be healthier and stronger and able to do anything I want.  Plus I want to be stronger so I am better able to help and serve those that I come in contact with.
   
     Now the real question is what do I eat?  I signed up online, my first meeting is next week.   I am excited and nervous at the same time.  What if it doesn't work?  What if I can't follow the program and succumb to my freezer of ice cream?  Actually I might need to clean out my freezers now that I am thinking of it.  As my readers know I love to cook, and I love to cook with butter, lets be honest butter makes everything better.  Yes it would be so much easier to stick to my current eating habit, but that eating habit also adds to me being overweight, tired, without energy and more.  So its time to make a positive change, it is time to value myself and treat myself right and take care of myself.

     I know that there are so many of you that are far more familiar with Weight Watchers than I am, so please help educate me to the plan what I should or should not be eating, how to overcome my cravings.  All over the internet there are so many blogs with people following Weight Watchers, I am glad that there are so many out there who will share their journey.  One particular blog is skinnytaste, I have mentioned her blog before, and she is amazing.  All of her recipes have the points included, and her food looks so good!  It has been so cold lately that soup has sounded so good everyday.  One of her recipes was for Chicken Pot Pie Soup, doesn't that just sound so cozy and comforting on a cold day?  So this is officially my first Weight Watchers Point meal, so thanks Gina for sharing your recipes with the rest of us and making Weight Watchers a little easier.  Hopefully soon I will have point recipes of my own!

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 bowl (1-1/2 cups) • Points+: 6 pts • Smart Points 7
Calories: 253.8 • Fat: 1.8 g • Protein: 27.7 g • Carb: 31.9 g • Fiber: 3.4 g
 

Ingredients: 

  • 1/4 cup flour (to make gluten-free use 2 tbsp cornstarch instead)
  • 2 cups water 
  • 4 cups fat free milk
  • 1 large celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/2 medium chopped onion
  • 8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms 
  • 2 chicken bouillons
  • fresh ground pepper
  • pinch of thyme
  • 10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
  • 16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
  • salt

Directions:

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.

No comments: