Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Blessings---Feed your Faith & Thoughts on going Vegan or Vegetarian.

    Happy Sunday!  It is so hard to believe that it is actually Sunday the sun is shining beautifully and it is only sweater weather here in Salt Lake City!

    I have to admit I am thrilled at the mild winter that we have been having.   I am a complete wimp when it comes to cold weather.   During my last hiatus (I swear I am going to get better at that guys!) a lot happened.   I worked insane hours during the Holidays and got that all done and over with, sadly on Christmas Eve, my sweet dog Chloe passed away.  I also caught pneumonia and my goodness the score was pneumonia 1 Ruth 0.  Pneumonia won the battle for December and January.   It looks like for February though victory will be mine!  I also adopted a new dog.  He is the cutest snuggly little guy that ever walked on four paws.  You will be seeing lots more of him.


     Lately I have been thinking a lot about dreams and goals and aspirations etc.   Sometimes it appears that I let my own apprehensions get the best of me and I feed my doubts instead of feeding my faith, so that is definitely something that I am going to work on.  When all is said and done, I never want to look back and think that I was holding myself back, or a roadblock to my own success.  Definitely something that I have been thinking on lately.

     So another change that I have been making is how I am eating.  Actually I am participating in a study to see the effects of a Vegan diet for a month, so for the entire month of February I am following a Vegan diet.   It is very interesting, at the beginning of the month I did all of my numbers for cholesterol, blood pressure, bone density and various other things at the Dr's office.   I will do them again at the end of this experiment.  I have definitely witnessed some pretty fascinating changes.   One being I sleep so much better!   I have joked for a long time about being a chronic insomniac.   I don't know what is causing the difference but I sleep like a baby and I LOVE it!

     Would I be lying to say that I don't miss my chicken, fish, milk and cheese?  Of course! I would love my fish & cheese and milk, but I do feel much better and am in much less chronic pain.  What will I do when the month is over?  I am not sure..., it will probably be some sort of compromise in between.  I am not sure.   I know I sure like how I feel much better now that I did before, and to me that is a big deal.  So to my vegetarian & vegan friends out there...what advice can you give me for making a transition to plant based eating?  Any favorite recipe recommendations?

     I will say something that I have discovered I love are grilled portabello mushrooms stuffed with veggies and hummus.   Super delicious, and super filling.  My goal is to be sharing lots more healthy recipes and healthy eating tips.  2015 will be a year that I take charge of my health and nutrition.

     I can't wait to share more with you and share more of my adventures in the kitchen with you!

2 comments:

Tracy Wood said...

Hi there! I'm just going through my favorite blog list, and yours popped up! I have been vegan for 2 1/2 years and I love it. My numbers are great, my skin and hair are perfect, my allergies are almost non-existent, I'm happy about not participating in the animal cruelty inherent in eating meat/dairy. I wonder how you are doing? I'd love to know!

~Tracy

http://mylivingcookbook.blogspot.com/

Love from Scratch said...

Tracy, Thanks so much for sharing, I am definitely learning a lot making these changes, but I am seeing some huge benefits, skin, hair, energy. I am loving the recipes on your blog!