Friday, May 16, 2014

Photo a Day in May…All things Shiny!

shiny pink glitter heels

     People are like stained  glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

     Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

     I love all things sparkly and shiny and full of glitter.  There can never be enough glitter in life!  I love to see things sparkle and shine.  Sometimes however I feel that I myself lose my sparkle and shine.  Sometimes you just feel beaten down by certain things that happen.  Sometimes I just need to put on some sparkle and grin and bear it!

     I have mentioned so many times my love of shoes and let me tell you as shallow as it may sound sometimes a great pair of shoes can completely change a day.  Some days I need the comfort of a pair of a cowgirls boots, sometimes the speed of sneakers and sometimes the sparkle and shine of a great pair of pink glitter high heels.  Every time I wear these shoes I can not help but smile and have a bit more of a spring in my step.

     Sometimes there are things in life that simply have to make you smile, whether it be eating an ice cream cone in the park or running in the park with your dog, or relaxing with a good book and hot chocolate.

     On of my favorite indulgences in hot chocolate.  I can not help but smile as I have the creamy chocolate combined with the cool whipped cream and then I taste a hint of cinnamon and a bit of salted caramel.  So amazingly delicious!

     I think its important for every home cook to have a stockpile of recipes that always make the day brighter, ones that always bring a smile to your face. So its Friday, its been a long week, make yourself some hot chocolate and put your feet up and relax and enjoy the world around you!

Ruth’s Its going to be a good day Hot Chocolate

Ingredients

  • 2 cups evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4  tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 dried red chile
  • 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preparation

     Whisk the evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and chili powder in a heavy saucepan. Add the cinnamon sticks and chile and cook gently over medium-low heat until warm and slightly bubbling around the saucepan edges

     Add chocolate and cook, whisking until melted. Gently bring to a high simmer, with a rolling boil; reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens and reduces slightly, whisking constantly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Combine heavy cream with remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a separate bowl and beat until peaks form.

No comments: