Saturday, May 17, 2014

Photo a Day in May, Rustic Saturday…

old-red-rusty-tract

     Man I love Saturdays!  This Saturday could not be prettier, the weather is perfect and the sun is shining brightly.  Last weekend I actually worked both Saturday and Sunday so I am excited about this weekend!  Earlier this week I saw an advertisement for the Farm Fest.  It may be the country girl part of me, but I have always loved farms, and I have a special affinity for rusted old tractors.  They always have such character to them, they show the wear and tear of their service.  Today as I walked though the farm exploring I saw so many old vintage tractors, and honestly all of them looked like they had a story to tell.  This photo is of one of the favorite tractors I saw today, the rust covered this tractor, and paint peeling off, yet it almost looked like that was the only way this tractor should be, showing its battle scars of a life of hard work.

     When I was younger I lived in the Midwest, Iowa to be exact and I loved it.  I loved to see the fields and crops and see the farms thriving in front of me.  Many of the kids I went to school with were farm kids, and I was impressed with their work ethic and their pride in their farm’s crops.  I loved in the summer seeing just how quickly the corn grew with its tassels dangling from the top of the stalks.  And there are very few things as pretty as perfectly golden wheat field  shining on a bright summer day, to me these are my favorite sights of my time there.  Some nights I could see the lightning bugs flickering in the distance.  Oh how I love that sight, that was also something I could see many nights in Texas.  No matter how many times I see those bugs, I still find them magical.

     Whenever I think of the word rustic, I think of down home cooking and simple times.  I think of a passage from the Alan Jackson song, Where I Come From, it’s a reminder to me of being content and happy with the simple things in life and also to stop and enjoy the moment.

Where I come from It's cornbread and chicken
Where I come from a lotta front porch pickin'
Where I come from tryin' to make a livin'
and workin' hard to get to heaven
Where I come from
Where I come from It's cornbread and chicken
Where I come from a lotta back porch pickin'
Where I come from tryin' to make a livin'
Workin' hard to get to heaven
Where I come from
Yeah where I come from
A lotta front porch sittin'
Starin' up at heaven
Where I come from
Where I come from
Tryin' to make a livin'
Tryin' to make a livin'
Oh, where I come from
Where I come from
Yeah where I come from
Get back down there sometimes
Where I come from

     Right now I am focusing on my roots and where I truly do come from and what I am all about.  And I might always be a simple country girl at heart.  Where do you come from, what are you all about?

No comments: