Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What I Have Been Reading Wednesday…A Homemade Life…

A Homemade Life
     I always tend to feel a sense of accomplishment to know that I am half way through the week.  I guess it’s the little things in life.  One day at a time, step by step.  Today I went with a dear friend of mine to one of her doctor’s appointments for moral support.  Whenever I go to appointments I make sure to bring a good book with me, because after all you never know how long those things are going to last.
    
     As my friend settled into the room for her x-rays I settled into the waiting room to finish my book.  It was interesting to see the hustle and bustle as people walked by.  I always find doctors offices to be an interesting cross section of society.  I finally found a chair in a quiet area and settled down for a nice read.

     I have been reading A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenburg.  She is also the writer for the food blog Orangette.  Definitely check out both the blog, and her book, both are incredible.  She is a very gifted writer and is really able to capture the essence and story of a recipe.  I thought that her book was perfect to review this month, with it being heritage month here at Love From Scratch.  Such a gifted writer and storyteller, I found myself completely engaged in her book.  She shares so many different life lessons and stories in her book, and the recipes that go along with them.
    
     Throughout the pages of the book we learn about Molly’s first kiss, her first apartment, her family, her first trip to Paris, so many different things.   I love that with each of her memories that there is an indelible food memory attached to them as well.   Within the chapters there are some amazing recipes, and some are not the traditional cookie cutter recipes that you see in every book.  No, these recipes all have a story and a set reason for appearing.  They have earned their place in this book.  This book is a must have for any aspiring food writer/blogger, or for any true lover of food and family and memories.

     This book has inspired to me to focus more on the reason behind the writing and the cooking and to share the stories and anecdotes of my cooking with you.

No comments: