Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Heritage Month Continues, Modernized Pork Chops…

Cooked Pork Chops
     Growing up my mom made pork chops for us frequently.  It was a good budget friendly meal, and easy for a weeknight meal.  One of her favorite ways of cooking pork chops was to bread them with graham cracker crumbs and then bake.  It’s pretty good, she’d do some marinating as well.  Once I moved out of the house for college, lots of times I would take my mother’s recipes and try to tweak them or modernize them a bit.  I think that part of the fun of heritage recipes is taking an old family favorite and making it more modern and applicable for your life.  Reinvent your families recipes into new masterpieces.
    
     I’ll admit pork has never been my favorite protein, too many times I find it dry and tough.  However, when pork is done correctly I do find it absolutely delicious.  I am a big fan of either marinating or brining the pork to make sure that there is moisture in the pork.  I definitely do encourage people to learn to cook pork correctly, it’s good for you, affordable and a super quick meal to throw together.  This recipe I made all the time in college, and have made several times since then.  It always well received and makes for great leftovers!
    
     This is also a great recipe for when its just you at home.  When I was single there were so many people who were always surprised to hear that I made real meals for myself.  So many times I hear that when you are cooking for one or two people it just isn’t worth the effort to make a real meal.   Well I can attest to you even if it is just you, you are more than worth making a real meal for!  Treat yourself with the respect that you deserve, you are more than worth it!

Love From Scratch Pork Chops

Ingredients:

2 loin pork chops
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cups canned tomato sauce
1 sliced onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Sprinkling of red pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes
lemon slices  
fresh thyme, basil and oregano to taste
1/3 cup lemon juice                                                                                                

Directions:

     Season pork chops with salt and pepper (red and black), and herbs and garlic, and place in a shallow baking dish.  Place 2-3 tablespoons rice on top of each chop.  Cover with tomato sauce.  Cover and cook in a 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Add sliced onions, which have been fried to a light golden color and seasoned with salt and pepper. Uncover and cook 30 minutes longer.  Garnish with fresh herbs, sliced cherry tomatoes and lemon slices.

2 comments:

Angie Schneider said...

I don't make pork chops often enough...these look so succulent and tender.

Love from Scratch said...

Thanks Angie! I have found with pork chops I really only like them if they are cooked with liquids otherwise I find them just too dry for my taste. Hope you enjoy the recipe!