Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Sugar Cookie Day, Cookies and friends and family, as good as it gets…

Cookies and Friends
     I really don’t have many vices, but if I have to admit to one, I do love cookies, I also love cupcakes and Dr. Pepper, but lets not digress.  You always hear that parents are a child’s first friends.  Such was the case for me growing up.  My parents and I are very close, and my mother was the one who taught me how to make cookies.
    
     My parents have been my sounding boards, my mentors, and my greatest cheerleaders.  While my mom taught me to make cookies, the person I think of the most when I think of cookies is my Grandfather.  I lived with him for a couple years before he passed and at that time he was truly my best friend.  My Grandpa still is a hero of mine, absolute genius and the nicest man you’ll ever meet.  He loved his sweets, anything sweet he would just relish.  Every night he’d have two cookies and a glass of milk with his nightly medication.  I had so many great talks with my Grandfather, he was so wise, and I miss those talks so much.  After he died I missed those evening talks the most. 
    
     It seems that so many of us have memories of cookies and milk, it brings us back to happier carefree days.  For me it brings back memories of family and love, and I love that.  I love my family, they will always be my best friends.  So make this recipe for your friends and family and create memories of your own.

Love From Scratch Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 3/4 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Directions
     In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight, which is what I do).

     Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

     Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven, make sure the oven is completely heated, it makes a huge difference. Cool completely.  Decorate as desired or enjoy as is!

No comments: