Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy National Fried Chicken Day!

Fried Chicken Goodness
     I have no shame in admitting that I love fried chicken.  Yes, I know its usually not that healthy for you, yes, I know its not true gourmet food, but I guarantee that my fried chicken will leaving you dreaming of your next plate.
    
     With this month being all about heritage recipes, and the stories behind recipes I knew that fried chicken had to be included.  So my mother is not a fan of fried foods, so my mother didn’t teach me anything when it came to fried recipes.  She taught me lots of other amazing things, but fried chicken not one of them. 
   
     When I was growing up my parents were the champions of road trips, we did road trips absolutely everywhere.  We explored a tons of sites in this great country.  My parents also loved to have us do picnics at local parks in the different areas where we visited.  After all they had my brothers and I to feed and usually we got the most bang for the buck going to a grocery store’s deli counter than a restaurant lots of times.  So for me, I associate fried chicken with summer adventures and family time, and discovering this beautiful country,
    
     When I moved off to college I will admit I got homesick.   I missed my family and felt very overwhelmed by everything.  I loved college, but I missed seeing my family everyday and having them with me.   It was in college that I really learned how to make good fried chicken.  It took me lots of trial and error to master my recipe, but I love this recipe.  Right now I am working on altering this recipe to make it gluten free.
    
     I have been blessed to live in so many different places and visited many different countries, but deep down I will always consider myself a Texas girl.  I love Texas and I will always have a huge part of my heart that belongs to that great state.  Now for those of you that have been to Texas, you know that we take our food seriously down there!  I am convinced that the home cooks of Texas are the best home cooks I have ever seen.  Down in Texas we aren’t about fancy and pretentious food, we are about friends, family, good times and hospitality.   I love this recipe, next time you have friends over, or just want a good home cooked meal, give this recipe a chance.  Be warned though, it is completely addictive!
Love From Scratch Fried Chicken
Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 whole fryer chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
5 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
 Directions :     
     Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.  I always just marinate it overnight.  Don’t skip this step, it makes a huge difference.
    
     Combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder a different plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.  Each piece should be battered and dipped twice.
    
     Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  When oil is hot, fry chicken in batches until golden brown and juices run clear, turning chicken to brown evenly.

No comments: