Thursday, July 18, 2013

Happy Caviar Day, Creating Your Own Memories…

Happy Caviar Day
     Happy Caviar Day!  I am sure you didn’t realize that this day even existed!  Caviar I think is one of those funny things, people either love or hate caviar, very rarely do you find an in between.
    
     I personally love caviar and always have.  However when I first was entering the “grown-up” world, there was not anyway that I could afford caviar on my ramen noodles budget.  My budget didn’t allow for much of any frivolity, so I had to exercise self-control (boo!).  I worked in event planning, floral design and catering for years, so I have almost always been surrounded by some of the nicer things in life.  While parts of it were glamorous, parts of it were most decidedly not glamorous.  One of the perks though were always all the great recipes I learned and inspiration I got from events to implement into my own life.
    
     I love to gather inspiration from all of the different walks of life.  After all life is a very sensory experience, and if you pay attention to it I firmly believe that there is inspiration to be found every day.  One of the chefs that I became friends with taught be a recipe for potato pancakes that I fell in love with.
    
     Now I had potato pancakes before, but these weren’t just any pancakes.  These were the potato pancakes that you have always dreamed of, even if you think you’ve never dreamt of one before.  These are buttery and crispy, they crackle when you bite in and then just melt in your mouth.  My favorite way to have these goodies is will a small slice of smoked salmon, a dollop of crème fraiche and some caviar and chives.  Delish!  I actually almost swoon just thinking of this.
    
     When I created this recipe, and was able to afford to make it was one of the times I felt like a true grown up. so for me this will always be a milestone recipe!

Love From Scratch “Grown Up” Caviar Potato Stacks

Ingredients:

1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed well and dried
1 shallot, peeled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
oil, for frying

Directions

     Grate the potatoes, garlic  and shallot using your food processor. Add to a colander and squeeze dry using a clean tea towel, making sure to get rid of all of the moisture.  Try to make is as dry as possible.  Place the potatoes and shallots in a bowl along with the flour, parsley, egg and some salt and pepper. Mix well.      

     Heat about 1/4 cup oil in a large cast-iron skillet until hot. Scoop 1/4 cup potato mixture into the skillet and flatten with a spatula. Cook until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes, and then flip and cook another 2 minutes. Remove to a baking sheet or wire rack to drain. Repeat in batches.
    
     Top with smoked salmon, cream fraiche, caviar and chives, serve immediately.


No comments: