Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Family Times and Memories, Divinity Goodness…

Divinity Recipe
     There are so many things that I love to do, I love to cook (obviously), travel. sew, quilt, so many things.  However my favorite thing is always family time.  There is nothing better than family time.  I love spending time with my family, it also helps that I have the greatest family EVER.  I’ve been very blessed to have such incredible people to call my family.
    
     When my family gets together be warned, we tend to be loud and very talkative and lots of stories are always being shared.  Summers we would always come to Utah and see all of the family, visit with the cousins, aunts & uncles, grandparents and so many more.  One of my favorite things to see is when my Mom and her sister get together.  It is a sight to behold.  My mom is the baby of her family by several years, and that dynamic is evident in the interactions between the two of them.
    
     My Aunt is one of the best cooks ever, she’s never been formally trained, but she can cook circles around a lot of chefs I know.  She can cook, everyone who knows my Aunt knows of her ability to cook.  Her fudge is really the stuff of legends, however I will always remember the first time I had her divinity.  I had never even heard of divinity before, I was pretty young, but I remember biting into the creamy, lighter than air cloud.  It was euphoric!  I knew that I needed to replicate that recipe at home.  It was a tricky one to replicate.  Divinity is also something I have learned that can be very tricky to make, it doesn’t do well if you make it on a humid day (trust me on this one).  I love to make divinity and I am always surprised how many people have never even heard of divinity.  This is amazing stuff and makes great gifts!  Definitely give this recipe a shot, I think you’ll love this recipe, I personally love to make this recipe and curl up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate, or peruse through family history or photo albums.  I love to curl up and focus on all of the wonderful memories of my family.

Family Time Divinity

Ingredients

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup ice cold water
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I prefer pecans)

Directions

     In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir only until sugar has dissolved. Do not stir after this point. Cook syrup mixture until it reaches 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer.       While the syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Once the sugar mixture reaches 250 degrees F, carefully pour a slow steady stream of syrup into the stiffly beaten egg whites, beating constantly at high speed. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until mixture holds its shape in peaks, approximately 5-6 minutes. Stir in pecans. 
     Using 2 spoons, drop the divinity onto waxed paper, using 1 spoon to push the candy off of the spoons.  If the candy becomes too stiff, add a few drops of hot water. You will need to work fast when making this type of candy (translation, no distractions!). After you spoon the cooked sugar and nuts onto the waxed paper, you're done. Cool the candies on racks completely. You can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, but they will disappear long before then!


No comments: