Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What I have been reading Wednesday, Park Avenue Potluck Celebrations…

Park Avenue
     Another Wednesday is here, meaning time for What I have been reading Wednesday!  This particular book was a very interesting book for me, its Park Avenue Potluck Celebrations.  It is actually published by the Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.   This cookbook was actually published to raise awareness and funds for the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
    
     That being said I was already a fan of the book before reading it, I have always been a fan of charitable causes, and especially a cause that hits so close to home.  For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, they do amazing things.  They were established in 1946, and they are the world’s largest and oldest private cancer center.  They are amazing not only with the patients, but with the families of the patients as well.  Definitely check them out, this is an amazing facility that is doing so much good in the world.
    
     I have to admit when I bought this book, I bought it solely to support the cause, not for the content.  Actually I am embarassed to admit that I did not even open this book for several months after getting it.  It was safely tucked away with the masses of all of my other cookbooks when I finally got around to reading it.
    
     Since then I have used this book many, many times.  It has some truly wonderful recipes and the food photography is simply stunning.  I love that the book focuses on different celebrations, complete with menu selections.  It definitely gives great ideas and recipe suggestions, while also sparking your own creativity.
    
     One of the things that I love best about this cookbook, is that while the recipes are presented in a very elegant manner, they aren’t difficult to prepare, and most recipes are actually quite affordable.  It is definitely something that is attainable for the average person.  I personally hate it when I find a cookbook that no one can afford to actually make the recipes. 
    
     I have made numerous of the recipes, and I have had great success with all of them, however my favorite is definitely the pumpkin praline pie, or the lemon-fennel risotto, or fried green apples.  All delicious.  This won’t be a cookbook that you reference every day, but it will be great for when you have company over, or when you have a special occasion and you want to do a little something special for.  Check it out and let me know what recipes become your favorites.

No comments: