Monday, June 17, 2013

Meatless Monday…Farmers Markets Quinoa Salad

Quinoa Salad edited
     I love the summer, its always one of the best times of the year, course I do tend to say that about every season.  Meatless meals have gotten much harder for me since going gluten free.  Its tough with out gluten, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve that I love.  One of my favorite gluten replacements is Quinoa.  I have actually loved quinoa for awhile now, but I am especially grateful for it now.  Course anything that helps me not feel deprived I am a huge fan of right now.
    
     Definitely try quinoa, it is so good for you, high in protein, and I love how filling it is.  Seriously a little bit of this salad will keep you satisfied for a very long time.  To me nothing is worse than when you eat a meal and then 20 or 30 minutes later you are already hungry, that drives me nuts.  This recipe is a great one to bring to summer potlucks, or to incorporate all of your farmers market produce.  Of course this recipe is also a great “base recipe”  I’m sharing my base recipe with you, but really you can add and subtract as much as you like.  Its also a great dish to add shrimp too if you want to do a non-vegetarian option.  Whatever you choose, I am sure you will love this recipe!

Farmers Market Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt
1 1/2 cups quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained (about 4 cups cooked)
2 ears corn, kernels only (or one can of canned corn)
1 medium red pepper, diced 
1 large cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
3 ripe tomatoes (you can use grape or cherry tomatoes instead)
1 ripe avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
2 limes, juiced
3 tablespoons rice vinegar

Directions:

Bring 2 3/4 cups water to boil in a small saucepan and stir in the quinoa and some salt.  Return to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, about 13-15 minutes. 8 Minutes into the cooking add the corn.

In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt to taste.
Place cooled quinoa and corn, red pepper, cucumber, avocado, scallions, and cilantro in large bowl. Add dressing and salt to taste; mix until coated.

No comments: