Friday, June 7, 2013

Happy, Happy Doughnut Day…

Plain Glazed Doughnuts LFS
     I have to admit, doughnuts are a huge weakness of mine.  Luckily I very rarely crave them, but when I do, sadly several doughnuts disappear all at once.  I can eat several back to back without even thinking, which makes them a very dangerous dish for me.  I blame my Grandma.  Grandma Love From Scratch loves doughnuts and sweets of any kind.  Maybe I inherited my lack of doughnut self control from her, its definitely possible. 
    
     I go most days to visit my Grandma in the nursing home, and she loves it when I bring her treats.  One of her absolute favorites is my doughnut recipes, as with some of my recipes right now, it isn’t gluten free.  I am trying to modify this recipe into gluten free, but I haven’t mastered that just yet.  There is something that is always so decadent and delicious about a mug of hot chocolate and a doughnut fresh from the oven.  Total and utter bliss.  These are super simple to make, and I think they will rival your local bakery in a heartbeat!.  Make them for someone you love, and they will love it.  Or make them and send them to my Grandma, she would love that too!

Visiting Grandma Doughnuts

Ingredients:

2  envelopes active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 2/3 cups warm milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
 2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 quart vegetable oil for frying (use canola or other neutral tasting oil)
1/3 cup butter softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons hot water

 Directions

     Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy and bubbly and it has a yeasty smell to it.

     In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. (I actually prefer to make my doughnuts by hand without the mixer.)  

     Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and springy to the touch. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it the indention fingerprints remain.

     Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth or plastic wrap

     Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is on the thin side, it should appear shiny and glossy and coat the back of a spoon.

     Heat oil in a large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F. Turn doughnuts over as they bob and rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, and have them  drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Make sure there are paper towels or something underneath the wire racks.




No comments: