Sunday, June 9, 2013

Farmers Market Month at Love From Scratch, Zucchini Blossom Goodness…

lfs squash blossoms
     I love it when you can utilize things that normally go to waste into a recipe.  I think it is important to utilize as much of your harvest as possible.  Where I live people grow squash and zucchini left and right, and a lot of people just toss away one of my favorite parts the blossoms!  Luckily most years I have neighbors that I can get these beauties from, or I can always get them at the local farmers markets as well.    There are so many different ways to use these in recipes, but I have to admit my favorite way is definitely fried with goat cheese.  It is absolutely DIVINE!  Usually it takes some coaxing to get people to try these, which I personally don’t understand, but I guess its outside of some people’s comfort zone.  Definitely give these a try, at least once, cause I guarantee that once will be all it takes for you to fall in love with these.  Sadly I can eat a whole plateful all by myself, since I find them completely addictive!

    
    One of the things that I love farmers markets is that it does give you the chance to try something new, and branch out.  It could be trying purple potatoes, a new herb, getting local honey, or trying a different variety of melon.  Whatever you choose, try something that excites you.  Farmers markets should be a place of discovery, so make the most of it.  I love the sensory explosion that you experience at a farmers markets, its always an enjoyable experience.  I would love to hear what recipes you come up with once you get your own farmers market finds.  Keep me posted and let me know what is going on in your kitchen.

Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

Ingredients

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flower
1 cup sparkling water (you can use distilled water, but sparkling will help with making a lighter, crisper coating)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup goat cheese, softened to room temperature
3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 teaspoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon minced Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1 green onion very finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 to 10 zucchini blossoms
Vegetable Oil for frying (or other neutral oil)

Directions

In a stand mixer mix together the flours, water and salt until smooth and creamy, set aside.  In a bowl combine the cream cheese, goat cheese, and buttermilk.  Then add the parsley, basil, and green onion. Mix until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon about  2 teaspoons filling into each blossom. Close the blossoms and gently twist the petals to close the blossom, you can close with a toothpick if you need to.  In a saucepan fill the pan about a third of the way with vegetable oil. Heat over medium heat until a thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. Dip the stuffed zucchini blossoms in the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, turning as needed, until golden brown.  Allow the cooked blossoms to drain on paper towels or a wire rack These are great with a marinara dipping sauce, or delicious all on their own.



No comments: