Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Blessings and my Visit to Ephesus

Ephesians Quote
     I love Sundays.  Sundays have always been one of my favorite days, I happen to love going to church, and I love spending time with my family, so Sunday is a good day.  On my trip I had the opportunity to go to somewhere very special.  I was able to go to the city of Ephesus in Turkey.  Now the city of Ephesus is an interesting place with quite a bit of religious history.  The Apostle Paul wrote an epistle to the people of Ephesus, which is what we now know at the book of Ephesians in the New Testament.  The Apostle Paul did a lot of teaching in Ephesus as did John the beloved.  The home of Mary, the mother of Jesus, is said to be outside of Ephesus, as is the wishing wall and the grotto of the seven sleepers.  There was so much to see in Ephesus and so many ruins to explore.  The scholars estimate that only fifteen percent of Ephesus has been excavated.  It was an amazing place that I feel so blessed to have been able to visit.
     Since I knew I was going to Ephesus before the trip I had decided to re-read the book of Ephesian before going  and seeing Ephesus.  I am glad I did, it made the whole experience so much more personal and powerful for me.  I never make any secret about how important my religion and belief in God is in my life.  I love to learn and read the scriptures, and a personal hero of mine is Paul.  I love that he was able to go from Saul of Tarsus, a man who persecuted the Christians, to Paul the proclaimer of the Gospel and powerful teacher. 
LFS Ephesus Collage
     It was amazing to walk in the footsteps of Paul and John, to be in the same city where Mary, the mother of Jesus spent the end of her life.  Marc Anthony and Cleopatra are said to have visited Ephesus as well.  There were so many different things to see in Ephesus and I wish I could have spent more time there.  I saw the amphitheater where Paul taught the saints, and it was  a special place to be.  There were tourists everywhere of course, but I did sit down on one of the rock slabs and I had a chance to think about what happened in this city, and the lessons that were taught in that very place.  It was definitely a thought provoking place for me.  I feel truly blessed to have been able to be there.
     If you do ever have the chance to visit Ephesus, please take advantage of that opportunity.  It is an amazing place, with an amazing heritage and spirit there, definitely a place that you will never forget.

No comments: