Friday, May 24, 2013

Favorite Things Friday, NYC Applelicious Lip Balm…

NYC Big Apple Red Lip Balm
     As I mentioned earlier this week, I have joined Influenster and I was selected to participate in the Spring Fever Voxbox.  I was excited about all of the goodies, but I have to admit when I saw this lip balm I was not happy.  Now I don’t want to sound ungrateful after all I did receive these items complimentary for testing purpose, but to be honest I don’t wear red lipstick or red lip balm ever.  Never ever.  Actually I have bought red lipstick in the past, usually because a saleslady convinced me it would change my life.  A time or two I may have even had the crazy idea it could work for me, and tried to find one myself.  Now, I do love the way red lipstick looks on a lot of people, it looks elegant and classy, but for some reason red on me makes me look like I am cheap and have severe rosacea.  I know that means I am not using the right color red, and that means that I need to try again.  I have come to terms that I am just not a red lipstick kind of girl.
     So here begins my first review of my Spring Fever Voxbox, more reviews will be coming as I review and use each of the products.  We’ll go over the good the bad and the ugly.  After all we all need to be smarter shoppers these days.

     So when I saw this the color was definitely not something I even wanted to try, but I figured if I like the formulation and how it feels I could always buy it in another color, since it does come in a wide assortment of colors.  So this color is the Big Apple Red, I decided to give it a shot.  I’ve actually been wearing it for a few days to make sure that I gave it a fair shot.  I have to tell you I LOVE this product!  I was so pleasantly surprised by this.  I never anticipated to even like this, but I am glad I discovered it.  Thank you Influenster for introducing me to this product! 
     Now let me be clear, this isn’t a lipstick, it’s a tinted lip balm, so it doesn’t have the full coverage of a lipstick.  Now for me this is a huge plus because for me one application appears as a rosy berry stain, not as a full on red lipstick.  You can certainly build more color and make it darker and get the red stoplight look if that’s what floats your boat.  I find for me one application was perfect.  Now I have to admit I love the apple shaped center core of the balm.  The center is filled with vitamin E, avocado oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter.  It glides on extremely smoothly, and is super moisturizing, 
     I tend to be a lipstick/lip gloss/lip balm snob.  My lips are one of my favorite features, so I spare no expense and making them look good.  Plus I hate the feeling of dry chapped lips, and I just feel more put together with something on my lips.  The rest of my face can be makeup free, but there is usually always some sort of product on my lips.
    Because I am a lip product snob I can’t really compare it to other like items, after all this is only $2.99 a tube at the drugstores,   So I have to put it up against my fancy stuff.  I have to say it holds it own against my department store products (averaging $30 and up a tube), it’s just as moisturizing and the lasting power seems to be the same.  Since it’s a lip balm it of course does not last as long as a lipstick.  I would definitely use this product in place of what I already use, which is great.  It is always nice to find a great product for a great value. 
     Because I was so impressed with the product I did go online to see what other colors are available.  I am impressed with the color selection, and I can already see two colors I want to try, Apple Blossom & Caramel Apple.  At $2.99 you can have a couple, or one in each purse.  I do have to do a touch up on this through out the day, but that is to be expected.  Two applications for a lip balm a day is pretty impressive to me.  Try this product out I think you will like it, I sure did.  It has now become one of my new favorite things.
Influenster Image
    I received this product complimentary for testing purposes, but all opinions expressed are solely my own.

No comments: