Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Around the World in Food Month. A Piece of Home…

LFS Utah Wildflowers
     For years I lived in Texas, and I absolutely loved it, and Texas holds a very special spot in my heart.  During the Spring in Texas there are wildflowers everywhere you look, and it is breathtaking.  I have missed that since I came to Utah, and during the spring I always find myself yearning for my Texas Wildflowers.  I was driving here in Utah the other day, and I came across this meadow.  I of course pulled right over and began snapping pictures.  Its beautiful isn’t it?  It is like a piece of home for me.  I actually keep my camera in my purse everywhere I go, and its great to be able to take pictures of beauty when I see them. 
  

     Texas I fear part of me will always be homesick for.  I loved almost everything about Texas, and I learned so much during my time there.  I have so many memories from that time in my life.  And as always, several of my memories involved food.  Texas is a state full of good food.  I find myself often craving dishes that were commonplace in Texas, but substantially harder to find here in Utah.  No matter, I will just make the dish myself, and serve up a helping of Texas food at my own table.

     One of my favorite Texas dishes will always be brisket, yum brisket!  My mouth is already watering just thinking of it.  I absolutely love brisket.  I hope that someday this dish becomes a bit more popular here.  I guess people don’t know what they are missing out on.  This recipe makes quite a bit, so either invite over some friends for dinner, or prepare yourself for delicious leftovers!  Serve it with cornbread and peach cobbler and you might just have the perfect meal.

Love From Scratch Brisket

Ingredients

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder or minced onion
1 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef brisket
1 3/4 cups beef stock
1 cup water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make a dry rub by combining all dry ingredients. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Add beef stock and and water, lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly with foil and continue cooking for 3 1/2 hours, or until fork-tender. Trim the fat from the meat as needed.



2 comments:

Kim - Liv Life said...

I have only seen Texas from the car window as we transited on Interstate 40... but my husband spent time there in the AF and LOVED it!
Texas is high on my list of "must travel" places one of these days, and this brisket? Well it's high on my list of must try dishes!

Love from Scratch said...

I always suggest Texas as a place to visit. You will love it, full of fun places to see, great food and some of the nicest people you will ever meet.