Monday, April 22, 2013

Meatless Monday, The Gluten Free Edition…

Tomato Radish Salad
     *Sigh*  I am so hungry!  It is Monday, and my gluten free life has begun.  Also with it being Monday it is a Meatless Monday.  *Double Sigh*  What on earth do I eat?  What doesn’t have animal products or gluten?  I have to admit thinking about it was a bit taxing on my brain so this week’s Meatless Monday is not going to be main dish like I usually try to feature, it is a delicious salad.  Vegetables and fruits are naturally gluten free (point in their favor).  Luckily, I have always loved fruits and veggies, so I am sure that love will only deepen from now on.  I looked through the fridge and found any vegetable that looked good, and came up with this recipe.  If I had portabella mushrooms I probably would have put this salad on top and broiled it for a “portabella pizza”.  Actually after making this I thought of so many different ways that I could have used it, topping for salmon, mixed with chicken and arugula as a salad.  I actually think it would make a great filling for a tart, maybe I will do that in the future.
     With this salad I actually diced a couple tomatoes, a cucumber, a green bell pepper, and a large handful of radishes.  Then I added some feta cheese, a few kalamata olives, and then a few tablespoons of rice vinegar.  I added some salt, ground pepper, and dill and fresh basil to taste.  Then I put in in the fridge to chill and for the flavors to meld.  Absolutely delicious and refreshing, next time I am definitely putting it on portabellas!  It was a super easy recipe, but I think that is what I needed today.  I needed something super flavorful and simple, yet gluten free today, and this definitely fits the bill.

No comments: