Thursday, April 18, 2013

Going Gluten Free... My Breakup With Gluten

     Grr!  The day that I have been afraid of happened today.  To make a long story short, for the past several months I have not been feeling well at all and have been having horrible gasterointestinal issues (gross I know).  I have been getting sicker and sicker and it seems like everything I ate was making my body so unhappy, almost to the point where I started to feel that there wasn't any reason to eat, since it caused such havoc in my system.  I have seen doctor after doctor before about this issue, its actually been going on for years and just the past several months has the condition spun out of control.  Anyway, today I went to my local hospital to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy performed. (You are completely jealous I know)  I won't go into the detail of my colonoscopy preparation, because lets be honest, that is completely disgusting, but I will leave it as this, never, ever do the preparation without nice 2-ply toilet paper, trust me on this one.

     I will spare you with all of the clinical pathology and grossness of the details of the procedure, I will just leave it at this, with my diagnosis it became clear that my days of gluten consumption are gone. *Sigh*  While I am excited to finally know what the problem is, and I am thrilled at the prospect of getting better, a part of me can't help but think about my lost culinary delights.  No more crusty french bread, no more gravies, no more heaping piles of pasta, and no more tall fluffy cakes.  I am sure the next several months will be a learning period, where I will hopefully learn some of the intricacies of gluten free living.  So you can all expect to see lots more gluten free recipes on this blog, and I will share of my struggles and learning experiences as I try to come to terms with this.  Also if any of you are gluten free and have advice please share, I am sure I need all the help I can get.  Goodbye gluten, how I loved you, why did you have to hate me so?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I read your blog regularly. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep it up!


Feel free to surf to my webpage ... food good for colon cleansing