Friday, April 12, 2013

Favorite Things Friday...What is in a memory??

     I can hardly believe its Friday already, and I thought today would be a great day to highlight a few of my favorite things.  I have always been one to attach memories to objects, I can remember what outfits I wore to my first date with my husband, I can remember what I bought with my first real paycheck from a job, I can remember my first start up stuff for when I was a freshman in college.  I remember all of those things.  When I moved out of my parents house and began college I took some of my parents old dishes with me, to help start up my college kitchen.  They were the same dishes that my parents had as newlyweds back in 1975.  Now nothing against the great year of 1975, but those dishes I had during college were U-G-L-Y!  There is not a nice way to sugar coat their appearance, they were just plain ugly.  However they were deeply practical, and it was great for college, because lets be honest, sometimes roommates mistreat your things, and apartment life can be awfully hard on nice things.  While I was in college I had several different roommates and it was always interesting to see the different approaches to things.  Most came with hand me down items from their parents, or some came with absolutely nothing and bought everything nice and new for the beginning of the school year.  By then end of the school year everything we had whether new or old showed the wear and tear of a school year.

     I'll admit when I was in school sometimes I would think of the life that I would create for myself when I got older and was completely on my own.  Would my first home as an adult be modern, vintage, eclectic, shabby chic, rustic?  What atmosphere was I going to create for myself?  Once I finally got out on my own I still had hand me downs for awhile until I was able to save enough from my paychecks to buy myself a few things.  Something that was very important to me was that I had enough china and dinnerware to entertain and have company.  So I bought two full sets of china, one a practical ivory set as seen above, and another cheery polka dot set  as well.  I have to admit it actually gave me great joy when I had saved the money and was able to bring these dishes home with me, I actually felt like a grown up, not just a kid using her mom and dad's old things.  So while I find my dishes beautiful in their own right, I always think of how I saved for them, and what it really meant to me once I got them, and that for me is why they will always be one of my favorite things.

No comments: