Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's Springtime! Happy Spinach Day!

     I can hardly believe that it is actually Spring!  The weather here seems to vacillate between wanting to be winter and snowing (boo!) and spring (yay!).  As all of you I am sure can guess, I am utterly and completely ready for spring and warm weather.  This week the daffodils finally bloomed and I can't even tell you how happy it made me to see something so nice and yellow and cheery.  I actually picked the very first perfect bloom, and took it to my Grandma, we'll call her Grandma Love from Scratch, anyway, she has actually moved into a nursing home a little over a month ago, so I have been trying very hard to visit her, and am able to make it most every day.  I always think it is nice to be able to share something, even if it seems small, that might brighten another's day.

     I have this random fascination with food holidays or random holidays of any kind for that matter, so I thought it was important to take note that today is Spinach Day!  As I have mentioned before I love spinach, I could eat plates of freshly steamed spinach.  Mr. Love from Scratch however can not or I should say will not, he will eat spinach is it is a small amount combined with other ingredients, so I try to accommodate him as much as possible.  Being that it is Spring and I always love to make seasonal dishes, I have been toying with a spinach pesto recipe, that I happen to think is delish.  I read a bit of the history of spinach actually and I have to admit I am a bit surprised at a few of the things that I have learned.  I had always assumed spinach to be a French or English vegetable, actually spinach is native to Asia originally and used to be considered a Persian vegetable.   Queen Catherine of France, who actually was born in Florence would have spinach served at every meal, the term Florentine is used to term dishes made with spinach as  a nod to her Florence heritage and love of spinach.  Spinach is super rich in minerals and vitamins as well, making it always a very healthy choice, unless you smother it with cream cheese, Parmesan and artichokes as a dip which while incredibly delicious is not terribly nutritious.  Pesto I love and shrimp I love so I think I might make have to have shrimp and pasta topped with spinach pesto, sounds like a delicious spring meal.

Love From Scratch Spinach Pesto

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cooked spinach (it shrinks down a lot, but don't worry)
3 teaspoons chopped basil
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons parsley
Salt/pepper to taste
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons pine nuts
 
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more olive oil or salt if necessary.  Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan when serving.

No comments: