Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What I have been reading Wednesday, The Escoffier Cookbook

     I am excited to be reviewing my first book for the Foodies Read 2013 Challenge.  I am reviewing a classic cookbook, and perhaps the most well known French cookbook ever, The Escoffier Cookbook.  I love this cookbook, it isn't a traditional cookbook in many ways.  The recipes are in paragraph form and there are many skills and techniques that you are expected to know before even beginning many of these recipes.  It is important to note that this book is not created for the standard at home cook, it was designed for a professional or aspiring professional chef.  This book is a must have for any serious cook and it is an amazing resource and reference when one already has a solid knowledge of the basics.  I especially love the sauce section, and there is a wealth of information in that section to help with your sauce techniques.  There are many tricks and hints that are written in the pages, and definitely a great resource to any aspiring chef.

     I have heard several people comment about how expensive the recipes in this book are to make, it is true that several of the recipes require some very pricey ingredients.  I personally do not see that as a negative to the book, the fact of the matter is that French recipes many times can be very expensive, but I can attest to the fact that these recipes are worth every penny.  My advice when it comes to this book is, if you have a good foundation buy the book and explore the world of French cooking, it is amazing, live the good life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good wгite-up. I definitely аρрrеciate this
webѕite. Keep it up!
Here is my weblog - instagram-follower.com