Saturday, January 12, 2013

More Food Goals and Food Adventures...

 
     Being fearless is something that I am working on for 2013, especially in the kitchen.  Sometimes we all fall into ruts, and I am trying to eliminate repetition in the kitchen this year and always be branching out and trying new things.  I have always been an adventurous eater, I will honestly try most anything, and most foods I like, Mr. Love From Scratch is not as adventurous of an eater as I am, and so much fussier, but together we explore the world of food and are constantly trying new things.  On our last vacation Mr. Love From Scratch got to try a few new things, among them were escargot, and pate, terrine and mousseline.  He didn't seem to enjoy any of them nearly as much as I did.  I love pate, and I actually love to make my own pates and terrines, its really simple and quite inexpensive to make, and great for parties, unless all your guests are timid eaters and if that's the case, good luck to you! 

     One of the other goals that I have had for this year is to incorporate more cooking techniques into my daily cooking, in particular I'd like to try more molecular gastronomy techniques.  I feel like I do well on the fundamentals of cooking, but I tend to be a little straight-laced with my techniques, I could definitely stand to branch out more.  I have been inspired by the molecular gastronomy of Grant Achatz,  Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, Heston Blumenthal and Laurent Gras, and so many more.  I'll admit I tend to be a traditionalist and a bit on the conservative side, but I am so intrigued by molecular gastronomy.  I am hoping to develop more skills in that arena this year.

     Another goal that I have for the blog is to work on my food photography and food styling, I wish that I was better at that, but I think that lots and lots of practice on that is going to be the best way to improve, so hopefully you will see improvement in my photos and plating throughout the year.  This year I am also going to try to introduce more foods to Mr. Love From Scratch, maybe I can get him to like pate and mushrooms after all!  It could happen, but for now, more mushrooms and pate for me!
  

No comments: