Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Les Miserables, A New Year & Redemption

     Tonight I had the chance to go see the movie, Les Miserables with some friends, and it got me thinking about things.  I think it was a very fitting movie to watch on New Years, as the story is about redemption, knowing who you are, and commitment and dedication.  I won't go into reviewing the movie or the actors in this post, that perhaps will be for another time.  I had read the book and have seen the play, so I hoped the movie would be equally satisfying.  I have always liked the story, and some of the lessons it teaches, especially about redemption.  One of the characters, Jean ValJean, is seen as a criminal a thief, a dangerous man who can never overcome his past.  At times in the story even Jean ValJean succumbs to the trap of thinking he is nothing more than a common criminal, forgetting all of the acts of goodness and mercy he has committed.

     Every time I read this book, or see the play, I can't help but wonder, how many of us really know who we are?  How many of us have let another person's opinion define us?  How many of us define others by one action, or by the opinions of others?  Today is the first day of 2013, are we starting fresh, or are we being already defined by the actions and activities of 2012?  Its a interesting thought...do we really ever give ourselves a fair chance, or do we ever give ourselves a second chance?  I'll be honest, I defined myself for years based off of what others thought, or the actions of previous years.  Its a tough lesson to see yourself for what you really are, and to truly examine yourself.  I don't know if tha is something I will ever truly achieve, I sure hope so.  How do you want to be defined?  What are you doing to define yourself?  These are all questions running through my mind, I know I must be rambling, but sometimes my mind runs away with ideas.

     I have big plans for myself, for my blog, and for the Love From Scratch Home this year, I know it will be a good year for us, and later this week you will learn of some of the excitement for my little blog, good things are coming.  I hope that all of you have had a Happy New Year, I think right now we are creating the recipe for 2013, and I am sure it will be a masterpiece.

No comments: