Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Healthy Snacks and trying to "Eat the Rainbow"

     I am trying to eat healthier this year and be a more aware eater.  It is no secret that I love food and that I love to indulge on occasions on fabulous food, but for the most part I try to be a healthy eater.  This year I am focusing on eating mini meals throughout the day and cooking fresh and as unprocessed as possible.  I am also trying to "eat the rainbow"  it is true that you eat with your eyes first so to speak,  so I try to make my meals look as appealing and appetizing as possible.  Lately this has been especially so for my snacks, sometimes I wonder if snacks aren't as satisfying because we don't put in the effort to really make them a mini meal.   One of my favorite staples for quick snacks is salsas or pico de gallo with pita or hummus and veggies.  These are quick and easy to make but always seem to satisfy.

     I tend to have a much stronger salty, acidic, crunchy tooth than a sweet tooth, though I do indulge in sweets every so often.  I find that it helps so much to have an arsenal of basic snack recipes that can be added onto or adjusted as your tastes dictate.  For instance a basic hummus recipe that can be adjusted to feature roasted garlic, olives, or roasted red peppers.  Or a Greek fruit dip that can be sweetened with the addition of honey and cinnamon and vanilla, or made tangy with lemon juice.  I have also found these are great ways to get people to eat their veggies and fruits.  There is so much that you can do with all of them, and I find myself frequently using these also as marinades or toppings on my main dishes too,  The one I use the most would have to be pico de gallo, I love pico de gallo, it's great with chips or pita crisps, great with veggies, or on top of grilled chicken, topping for tacos, or thinned down and turned down into a marinade or dressing.

     I would love to hear the go to snacks that you have in your snack arsenal.  How do you make your mini meals most satisfying?  I think we are all looking for  healthy snack ideas.  Try the pico de gallo, I think you'll really like it, it is fresh, tangy, vibrant and oh so versatile.

Love From Scratch Pico de Gallo

Ingredients:

4 tomatoes
1 small purple onion
1 small jalapeno
1 fistful cilantro
1 small cucumber (peeled and seeded)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Finely dice all ingredients together and mix in seasonings, cover and chill for several hours before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.

Anyways, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll
be book-marking it and checking back often!

my homepage ... Painless asthma symptoms Systems - Updated