Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Cold January means time for soups & stews!

     2013 is off to a really cold start, it has been super cold all week, my poor dog Chloe is hating it.  Cold weather has never been a favorite of mine either, but I try to make the best of it, at least it gives me a chance to make some nice warm soups and stews.  One of the decisions I made for this blog is that in 2013 each month will have a different theme or challenge, where I will focus at least 4 new recipes featuring the monthly challenge or theme.  With this January already being so cold and windy the theme was very easy to choose, for January we are highlighting soups and stews, after all on a cold day nothing warms you up as well as nice bowl of steaming soup, add some freshly baked bread and you have the perfect winter meal.  As I have mentioned before I love my Le Creuset french oven, it was a bit on the expensive side, but it has proven to be worth every penny.  I love Le Creuset and hope to acquire more (Hint, Hint Mr. Love From Scratch!). Anyway, my french oven has been perfect for making soups and stews, I am constantly looking for new recipes, however sometimes I want to enjoy a good classic as well, today is a classic day, definitely a Cheddar Broccoli day.  I love this soup, it is so creamy and decadent it just warms you straight down to your toes, I particularly love it with sourdough bread or baguettes.  Also a great meal for potlucks.  It will become a family favorite.

Love From Scratch Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients

9 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/3  cup all-purpose flour
3 cups half-and-half
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
6 cups broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 heads) (puree about 4 cups , leave 2 cups as is)
4 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish

Directions

In French oven melt the butter and begin to slightly brown the onion, gradually add the half and half, and chicken broth and bay leaves, bring to boil.  Once boiling add remaining ingredients stirring occasionally, after all ingredients are mixed in reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered 25-30 minutes.

3 comments:

Tracy Wood said...

We love soup! Even in the summer, we make light broths and cold soups, but you are right, when it's cold outside, nothing is better. I want to invite you to share a favorite meatless meal (like this yummy soup...minus the chicken broth!) over on my blog....I just posted my first link-up!

Anonymous said...

Hi theгe frienԁs, its іmpressive aгticle
about educatiοnanԁ entігelу explaіned, kеep it up all the tіme.



my homepage ... Fast Business Loan

Anonymous said...

What's up, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was helpful. Keep on posting!

Also visit my web-site ... Fast business loan