Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I have been reading Wednesday, Royal Edition...

Product Details     Time for What I have been reading Wednesday, royal edition this time!  I'll admit I was actually looking forward to reading this book.  I was one of the millions that watched the wedding of Prince William to Kate Middleton, and saw her sister, Pippa emerge as new style icon, and media darling.  Not to digress from the book, but was that now infamous white dress fabulous on her or what?  When I heard that Ms. Middleton was going to be writing a book on entertaining I was very curious to see how this would turn out, I wasn't sure if the book would turn into a pretentious book of unattainable entertaining for the average person, or a self -serving attempt at continued fame.  I have to say I was very pleased with the result.  Yes, there are some entertainment ideas that may not be things that are familiar with the average American, but after all the woman IS British!  She does a great job at tying in all the elements of entertaining, the decor, the menu, music selections, invitations, really anything that you can think of.  It is a delightful book, the photography is amazing too, and she does share some humorous anecdotes of her life.

     I was particularly impressed with the way she handles in this book being the sister in law to the future King of England, there was absolutely no exploitation of her connections, and really the book came off as surprisingly genuine and down to earth.  Does it reinvent the concept of entertaining?  It is earth-shattering?  No, not at all, but it is a helpful reference and does exactly what it aims to, which is to help the reader with a year worth of entertaining.  Definitely a good book, I think I would give it as a college graduation present, it seems to be geared at the twenty and thirty somethings that are looking to entertain and starting out in life.  Every idea featured is something that any skill level can recreate and there are lots of good ideas to build on.  Next time you are at the bookstore check this one out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!  Now I need to get ready for Holiday entertaining of my own!

No comments: