Sunday, November 4, 2012

National Candy Day & Pecan Praline Time!...

     Happy National Candy Day!  Candy making is something that I love to do, but it does take some patience and a lot of attention.  Whenever I make candy I make sure that I have period of time allotted free from any distractions, candy making is not something to try when you are trying to multitask, it needs your undivided attention.  I always make my candy when Mr. Love From Scratch is either out of the house, or at the very out of my kitchen! 

     With the Holidays coming up lots of us will be making candy and goodies for company and gifts.  When I was younger I would help my mom make the "goodie plate" for our neighbors during the Holidays, and everyone always loved those treats.  Now that I have gotten older I make treats of my own, some are the same recipes that my mother made, and some are new recipes that I have developed on my own.  One combination that I have always loved is the sweet/salty combination, especially when you add an element of richness to it.  To me pralines are one of the best candies out there, you have the salty crunchy pecans, and the sweet, rich and creamy caramel.  This particular recipe is amazing, and addictive too!  Also this is a great candy to dip in chocolate for an even more decadent treat.  Make these for the Holidays and it will be sure to please!  What are your favorite candy recipes?


Love From Scratch Pralines

Ingredients:
 
3 cups light brown sugar, packed
3 cups granulated sugar
1 2/3 cups cream
4 1/2 cups pecans (I like mine salted for that salty sweet flavor, but unsalted is great too)
7 tablespoons butter
 
Directions:
 
Combine sugars and cream in a heavy 2-quart saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, forming a thick syrup
 
Add pecans and butter and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Remove sauce pan from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
 
Use a tablespoon to drop rounded balls of the mixture onto sheet wax paper or foil, leaving room for the pralines to cool and spread
 
Makes about 3 dozen candies.

No comments: