Saturday, November 17, 2012

Memories and the Gratitude Challenge, part 17 of a 22 part series...

   Day 17 of the Gratitude Challenge, and today's task is to write about something in my life that I feel grateful for today.  There are so many things that I am grateful for, but one in particular happens to be memories.  I am so grateful for that.  Last week as I mentioned I had family in town and it was so nice to visit with them.  we re-lived old memories and created some new memories as well. I love that through memories events and people can live on forever.  I know I have discussed my grandparents numerous times.  I remember so much about them the smells of their home, their laughs and voices, the way it felt when they would squeeze my hand.  I have memories of when we went to Disneyland, a pink bead necklace they gave me when I was five,  I remember all of the stories that they used to tell me and most of all I remember how much they loved each other and they loved me.  I am so grateful that I haven't been stripped or robbed of these precious memories.

     Something that I have been trying to do much better at is to preserve and record these memories.  I want the stories of my grandparents to live long, long after I do, and hopefully I will have a story or two of my own to add to the mix.  I am hoping that 2013 will be a good year for journaling for me, I need to do so much better at it!  The best part of memories to me is that they instantly cheer me up whenever I have a down day.  Some memories are funny, some are gross, and some are just incriminating, as I was talking to my older brother this past week, we talked about a very specific memory.  Several years ago my older brothers and I had this "genius idea" to jump off of a bridge and into the creek below. (Disclaimer: while we didn't get hurt, this isn't a good idea, so please do not follow our bad example, and if you were wondering we were all over 20 years old when we made this decision, so old enough to know better!)  Anyway, my brothers went first, and then tried to convince me to do the same thing, swimming under the bridge were my brothers and they promised I would not get hurt and they would take care of me.  I trusted in them and I jumped, and I have to admit it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the situation.  What I remember most about the experience now it was that my brothers were ready and on hand to take care of me as they always have been in my life.  It is true that I would follow my brothers in almost anything they do, and that is for a couple reasons, 1) they have never let me down or led me astray and 2) they have always kept me safe.

     Whatever types of memories they may be, it is always good to have those memories that capture who you are, where you come from, and what you have done.   I want the memories of my life to show that I lived, loved and laughed, and enjoyed life to the fullest.

No comments: