Thursday, October 25, 2012

Memory Makers List...The French Laundry



     One of my favorite parts of traveling is the food, (yes, I know I do think with my stomach at times).  I love to try the food of the region, and experience the culture.  Ever since I was a kid I have had an affinity for cookbooks and fine dining.  I have always loved the artistry of fine cooking, and I feel that in some restaurants they almost transport you to a whole other world.  I have mentioned before my Memory Makers List, and there are several restaurants that I want to visit on this list.  The restaurants that has been on my list the longest is the famous French Laundry Restaurant, by Thomas Keller.

     I have always wanted to go to French Laundry, and I hope that someday Mr. Love from Scratch takes me, (hint, hint).  The talent of Thomas Keller is really second to none, and his technique and artistry is flawless.  While I haven't had the opportunity yet to go to one of his restaurants, I have had the opportunity to make several of his recipes, and they have been delicious.  Actually it makes me wonder even more what the food would be like at French Laundry, if I have made some of the recipes with such amazing results at my skill level, then the food must be phenomenal when made by someone of his skill level.  The one dish more than the others I want to try there is his famed "Oysters and Pearls".  Seriously have you ever seen a picture of his oysters and pearls?  It is indulgence and artistry in its purest form.  A couple years ago upon getting Keller's cookbook I decided to make it for myself at home.  I'll have to admit it was an expensive dish for me to make, between the island creek oysters and the sturgeon caviar it could easily blow your food budget for the month, but I can tell you it was completely worth it!  If I do say so myself it was one of the more impressive dishes I have made, however since I have never had his dish I'm not quite sure if I did it right, even if I didn't I loved it and so did my guests and that is what is important.   

     What dishes are on your Memory Maker list?  Any must see restaurants that I need to know about?  I will be sharing more of my Memory Maker list that is for sure.  Who knows maybe someday I will be able to cross everything off of my Memory Maker List, just maybe.
 

No comments: