Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lemon Cream Raspberry Napoleons...

 
 
     Don't these little beauties look delicious?  Last winter Mr. Love From Scratch and I spent a week in Las Vegas, and had all kinds of great food, but the food in The Paris was particularly good, especially in the bakeries and patisseries there.  To be honest I really did want to try a sample of EVERYTHING, but Mr. Love from Scratch wasn't supportive of that idea.  They all looked so good but we finally decided to split a raspberry napoleon.  It was absolutely delicious.  It was creamy yet crunchy at the same time.  It had the juicy raspberries and a hint of lemon cream, honestly I tried to distract Mr. Love From Scratch so I could eat the whole thing all by myself. (That didn't work in case you were wondering.) 

 
     After I had eaten our dessert I wanted to pay my compliments to the chef, and I was really hoping I could sweet talk them into giving me the recipe for that little delicacy.  Sadly, I failed in that mission and did not get the recipe, so I had to take matters into my own hands.  It took some time, but I have come pretty darn close to replicating the recipe in my own kitchen.  If I do say so myself this recipe is a winner, but really with raspberries, lemon and cream how can one really go wrong.  This was one of the treats I made myself for my birthday a couple months ago and it was perfect.  This is a great recipe that you can keep for company or those special occasions.  It is also amazing in the summer with fresh berries in season, I have substituted the berries numerous times and its great with any berry, so you pick your favorite.  So fix yourself a Napoleon and put on a good movie and enjoy some much deserved relaxation time!
 
Love From Scratch Napoleon
 
Ingredients:
 
12 fresh phyllo pastry sheets or frozen, thawed
12 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup whipping cream
4 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup lemon curd
1 tablespoon lemon zest
5 pints fresh raspberries or 4 cups frozen thawed & drained
Powdered sugar
Mint leaves & Raspberries for garnish.
 
For Phyllo:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease large baking sheets. Stack phyllo sheets on work surface. Trim to 10 1/2-inch by 10 1/2 inch square Place 1 phyllo square on work surface (cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel, its important to keep the phyllo from getting brittle). Sprinkle with two teaspoons sugar. Top with second phyllo square. Brush lightly with melted unsalted butter. Sprinkle with a generous teaspoon sugar. Top with third phyllo square. Sprinkle with a generous teaspoon sugar. Cut phyllo stack into equal stacked squares. Arrange stacked phyllo squares an prepared baking sheet. Repeat layering and cutting with remaining phyllo sheets.

For Cream:
Beat cream, 3 teaspoons powdered sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in large bowl until medium peaks form. Whisk lemon curd in another medium bowl until smooth. Add to cream mixture. Beat to stiff peaks.

Spread 1 generous tablespoon lemon cream on each of the phyllo squares. Top each with  raspberries. Layer each with raspberries. Layer each with 1 phyllo square, a tablespoon lemon cream and raspberries There should be three layers on each napoleon.  Garnish top with mint leaves and raspberries.


No comments: