Saturday, October 27, 2012

College Memories & Cookies

     It seems as though lately I have been having an uncontrollable desire to bake cookies.  I love to bake all sweets, but cupcakes and cookies will always be my favorite to make.  I think its because my mom always baked cookies for us.  As I have gotten older I have tried to come up with a few different types of cookies.  I have particular fond memories of this recipe, I developed the original basis of this recipe during college, I have since edited and tweaked the recipe over the years.  This recipe started when I had my first cranberry white chocolate chip cookie during college and I decided to recreate it at home. 


     It sounded easy enough, and it was, but when I looked for the ingredients it wasn't the most economical cookie to make out there, especially for a poor college student.  The basic recipe does call for macadamia nuts, which are amazing in the recipe, but many times in college the food budget didn't allow for pricey macadamias.  Now happily I can indulge in these cookies whenever I want, and they are always a hit.  However you can omit the nuts, or add walnuts or pecans instead.  I tried it once with peanuts and I wasn't fond of the end result, but as always change substitute and do as you wish.  I will warn you that these cookies are completely addictive, and you will not stop at just one.  In college I would make these for college boyfriends, or anyone else that I was trying to impress, they are crowd pleasers and you will get rave reviews for them. 

Love From Scratch White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter softened
1 cup golden brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
1 2/3 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts 
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift first 3 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add sugars and beat until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat just until blended. Stir in cranberries, white chocolate chips, and nuts.
Bake cookies until just golden, about 15-17 minutes.

Makes 2 dozen cookies

No comments: