Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Mother's Love & Cookies

I always write about cooking with love, and that when you cook with love you can taste it in the food.  My mother taught me so much when it came to cooking with love, it was always the first ingredient in all of her cooking,  I was going through family recipes this morning and remembering so many of the the recipes that my mother taught me to make.  Mom is an excellent cook, my brothers and I were (and are) so blessed to have her.  She always worked hard to make everything nice for my brothers and I.  She certainly made a ton of sacrifices for each one of us.  My mother is an excellent cookie maker, her chocolate chip cookies are the stuff of legends.  I have never tasted a better chocolate chip cookie than my mother's.  When I was a little girl she taught me how to make them so I could enter them in the fair, I had wanted to enter something, so she helped me.  The were blue ribbon cookies to the judges, and the best to us hungry kids at home.  I have made her recipe time and time again and it brings back lots of memories.

This weekend we went to visit my in-laws.  My father in law loves oatmeal raisin cookies, so I made sure to have some fresh from the oven to take on our visit.  My mother loves oatmeal raisin cookies too, but that is one of the few cookies that I never remember having in our home as a kid.  I remember how many times she said she liked them, but she never fixed them, the reason being, my brothers didn't like oatmeal raisin cookies, my mother wasn't going to make two different types of cookies so that meant chocolate chip cookies it was, and usually that is what was found in our home.  Now I know to you that doesn't seem like a big deal and you may wonder why I even mention it.  I mention it because my mother is allergic to dairy products, she couldn't even eat the chocolate chips cookies that us kids all clamored for.  Instead of her fixing the cookies that she would have preferred, she did what she thought her family would like best, even if that meant no cookies for her.  My mother made tons of sacrifices for us, some small, some huge, but she always put us first. 

As an adult I have discovered that I actually love oatmeal raisin cookies, I wish that I had realized that sooner, maybe there would have been more cookies for Mom to have eaten in the house.  I have developed my own recipe for  oatmeal raisin cookies.  I think mom will like it when she tries them, next time she comes to visit I will make sure she finally gets to always pick what she wants instead of always putting everyone else first.  Try this recipe and let me know what you think.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies:

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
11/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup dark raisins

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 -14 minutes.

No comments: