Thursday, August 30, 2012

A day late, but an AMAZING What I have been reading Wednesday

I apologize that I have fallen behind, yet once again.  It may be a day late, but I am very excited about this "What I Have been reading Wednesday."  I have been reading Ratio, by Michael Ruhlman.  I have to disclose that I love anything by Michael Ruhlman, I love his writing style, and I love his mission to make sense of cooking for the common person.  He really does try to take the mystery out of cooking and make is accessible for us all.

So I have to admit I will be buying lots of copies of this book, they will be Christmas presents, my new go to bridal shower gift, and really practical for every one who wants to be more efficient and confident in the kitchen.  The concept behind the book is to "crack" the codes of culinary ratios, so that they can be used into everyday cooking.  So many people tell me that they hate to cook because they get overwhelmed by the recipes, I can completely understand that emotion.  Sometimes I see a recipe that has dozens of crazy ingredients and complex measurements, and I can't help but wonder, are we over complicating things?  In our quest to be amazing chef & domestic goddesses have we just caused undue stress and work on ourselves.  I would tend to think so. 

Ruhlman teaches in this book that ratios are what allows a person to have literally thousands of possible recipes unlocked to them, all stored in their mind.  Take bread for instance, the basic recipe for bread is 5 parts flour, 3 parts water (plus yeast and salt).  The ratio really is that simple, say you want to make an artisan bread with additional flavorings, then add some garlic, rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, you choose.  The ratio stays the same 5 parts flour, 3 parts water (plus yeast and salt).  With each ratio you are given dozens of modifications that you can make, adding in flavors if you wish, but really the possibilities are limitless. 

I think it is already obvious that I love the book, but what I love is that somehow Ruhlman is able to share his knowledge with everyone else, and have it make complete sense.  He instills confidence in even the most basic of home cooks.  Definitely buy this book, you will be glad that you did!

1 comment:

Pegasuslegend said...

Very cool writing thanks for your visit.. Artichokes are my favorite this sounds like how we make them too! nice to meet you!