Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter, Springtime & The real meaning of Easter



Here it is almost Easter, can you believe how 2012 is flying by? The sun is shining and the daffodils and tulips and irises are out and the birds are chirping. It really is a beautiful day here. The kids in the neighborhood are all excited for their Easter Egg Hunt. Easter has always been one of my favorite holidays, and it is also one of the holidays that I think the real meaning of the day is sometimes forgotten in the commercialization of Easter. It is not about the Easter Bunny, the Peeps or Cadbury Eggs (although I do like those eggs), it is about the greatest miracle that has ever happened in the history of Humankind, and the greatest sacrifice ever made. I will never fully be able to comprehend the greatness of this singular event, but I can say I am eternally grateful for this sacrifice and for the impact it has on my own life and the hope it offers me.

An Easter tradition that I have is to read the Easter Story in the Bible and then have one of my Easter Tomb Rolls, or "Resurrection Rolls" Now I know many people make resurrection rolls with the pre-made crescent rolls, but I use from scratch dough, that is the way I learned to make them, and I actually just recently learned about the crescent rolls idea. Anyway, besides these rolls being delicious, it is a great way to have a learning experience with your kids. When the rolls are done, the inside is hollow and empty just like the tomb was. Enjoy these rolls, and enjoy Easter with your family.

He is not here: for he is arisen~Matthew 28:6

Easter Tomb Rolls "Resurrection Rolls"

Ingredients:

3/4 cup warm water
1 large egg
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons dry milk
1-1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup butter 1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
24 marshmallows

Directions:

Combine first 8 ingredients.   Let rise till double. Divide into 24 balls and flatten. Mix sugar and cinnamon together. Dip marshmallows in melted margarine, then into sugar mixture. This represents the oils and spices that the body was prepared with after the Savior's death. Wrap roll around a marshmallow, covering completely this represents being covered in the tomb. Dip once more into butter, and again into sugar. Place rolls in a large greased pan and allow to rise till double. (approx. 35 min)   Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, or until done.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Thank you :) . This looks yummier than with refrigerator crescent rolls.