Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Ides of March are coming!

Man I have totally slacked off for the past couple weeks in posting. There has been so much going on that I hardly know where to begin, but things are settling down, and are good now. Actually things are very good now, I am definitely a very lucky and blessed girl! Life is funny at times and I can't help but laugh at how many times I have tried to plan things to the T only to have nothing come together, and then once I start to let things happen naturally everything comes together like a symphony. A lot of times it is the same way in cooking. Flavors have to meld together naturally, flavors forced together is never usually a good thing.

That being said I have been experimenting with different flavor combinations, some more exotic and some the tried and true. One flavor combination that is always a winner, and perfect for March is Mint and Chocolate. How can you go wrong with these two flavors? I don't know that you can. This particular recipe came out of desperation. Do you ever have a craving that you just have to get satisfied? A couple weeks ago Mr. Love From Scratch was out of town and I had the worst craving for Thin Mint Cookies. You know the Girl Scout cookies, the one's that are completely addictive? Well while I realize it is Girl Scout cookie time, I simply can not find a girl scout to buy cookies from. I know, what has the world come to? So I had to take matters into my own hands and make my own! I think I actually like mine better, but you try and let me know what you think!

Mock Thin Mints

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 egg
1 teaspoon mint extract
6 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter

Directions

In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add the sugar, and beat until mixed well. Beat in egg and mint extract.

Sift flour, cocoa, and salt together into a small bowl. Add flour mixture by halves into creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.

Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface roll dough into two 1 1/2 inch diameter cylinders. Wrap each cylinder in waxed paper, and refrigerate 5 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, thirty minutes prior to baking, place both cylinders in freezer.

Remove one cylinder at a time, and slice 1/4 inch thick pieces with very sharp knife. Place on cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine and the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Drizzle over warm cookies. Place on wire racks, and let cool and harden completely.

No comments: