Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

As a kid I loved St Patrick's Day, I remember in grade school have a "leprachaun hunt" (we never did find one), and I remember making absolutely sure that I had green on. It always seemed like such a fun holiday. I love that it really is a feast and a celebration of all things Irish. As an adult I choose to celebrate St. Patrick's Day as a celebration of all things Irish, and as a day to celebrate my good fortune, and hope for continued good fortune.

As I have mentioned before Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday, I think its important to take time and express gratitude for our blessings. For me I feel today is a time to stop and reflect on the blessings we have and reflect on our hopes for the future. My hope for all of you is epitomized in a poem I know all of you have heard, but is always worth another reading. Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

1 comment:

Colette said...

Being Irish, living in Ireland, I absolutely love this "Irish Blessing". May the road rise to meet you, is said in Gaelic as "Go n'irigh an bothar leat! Love your blog and will be following from now on :)