Monday, January 16, 2012

Maybe there is something to this whole 2012 fear....


Here we are only 16 days into 2012 and I have already had my first disaster!  Last week my car had issues, now a small issue wouldn't be a huge deal, oil change, flat tire etc, most of that I can deal with flying colors.  When it gets more complicated then things start to go sour, my cute little car had a lemon week, it ended up needing a whole new engine. (GRRRR!)  Luckily for me Mr. Love From Scratch can deal with the mechanics and ask all the important questions regarding the car that make me just have blank expression.  So with my car in the shop and an expensive repair bill coming up I have been looking at more inexpensive recipes to stretch the budget.  One of my favorite recipes will always be soup recipes, especially on cold days.  There is something so satisfying about soup.  I love how it makes the world just seem like a better place. 

So this recipe is a super budget Meatless Monday recipe, I love this recipe though because you can add whatever to it to use up leftovers etc.  Its a great foundation recipe to have on hand.  You can add leftover veggies or leftover chicken, shrimp etc, all great add ins to this recipe.  Its extremely easy and cost efficient, so if an unexpected expense comes up maybe give this a whirl, its delicious!

Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:

1 pound cabbage, chopped
1 yellow onion chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup bean sprouts
2 cups vegetable broth
dash salt and pepper to taste
dash Tabasco or hot sauce, to taste
fresh chopped cilantro

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except cilantro in a large saucepan. Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Stir in cilantro and add additional salt, pepper and hot sauce, to taste.

No comments: