Friday, January 20, 2012

Favorite Things Friday!


  Its a fabulous Friday!  I love the weekend!  The only downside of this weekend is that Mr. Love From Scratch is out of town, hopefully he is having fun, but the house isn't the same without him. I know we are still in the newlywed phase, but I sure love having him around.  With him gone though I have been cooking some of my favorites that he isn't as fond of, you guessed it LOTS of mushrooms are being cooked!

     So many people ask me what my favorite kitchen staples are and what my favorite items are to cook with, so I made a compilation of some of the items I love the most.  Some of the things I have given up recently (that means you Dr. Pepper), I still have the occasional Dr. Pepper, but I am really trying to cut back on my caffeine intake.  Nutella, Gelato and Goldfish crackers are the occasional indulgences that I may partake in, but for the most past I love to eat healthy fresh foods, and try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. 

     As I have said numerous times, there really is something so satisfying about taking raw ingredients and creating a delicious end result.  I love to try new combinations and I love to create quality, healthy meals for the people I love.   As I have mentioned I have started watching the TV show The Chew, it really is a great show, highly recommend it, anyway on one of the episodes each of the hosts shared what their last meal would be, Michael Symon (one of the hosts)  shared a recipe for Beet and Goat Cheese Ravioli, which I decided I just had to try, I love beets and I love goat cheese so marrying the two in ravioli sounded good to me.  Its always nice when you get to use your favorite things in a recipe.  I wish I had been the genius to come up with this recipe, but sadly I can not take credit for it.  I made the recipe and it turned out amazing!   I also love that this is a truly affordable gourmet recipe, since as you know my car repair was a definite hit to the monthly budget. Also he does this ravioli with wonton wrappers, you can use pasta dough as well of course, but if you are short on time the wonton wrappers are a great way to go!

Michael Symon's Beet Ravioli
Ingredients
  • 1 large red beet (6 to 8 ounces) scrubbed
  • ¼ cup fresh goat cheese
  • 1 small egg lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 pound Wonton Wrappers or fresh pasta (you choose)
Instructions

For the ravioli: Lay a wonton wrapper on work service. Brush edge of wonton wrapper with water, then top with 1 tablespoon beet filling. Place another wonton wrapper on top of filling, then press the edges together with a fork. Set aside. Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers. NOTE: Michael likes to use a spray bottle to apply the water.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the ravioli, quickly return to a boil, and cook until tender yet firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving the pasta water.


Just before the pasta is done, ladle 1 cup pasta water into a large sauté pan. Add the chopped tarragon and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the butter, one piece at a time, whisking until melted before adding the next piece. Continue until the butter is incorporated and the sauce is creamy. Slide the drained ravioli into the warm sauce. Toss gently until the sauce is creamy, adding more pasta water as needed.

Divide among warm pasta bowls and garnish with Parmesan and tarragon. Add a few grindings of black pepper if you like.     

No comments: