Friday, January 27, 2012

What's in a Creed?


     As you already all know I adore books, and I have been enjoying my local library immensely, there is something so enjoyable about curling up with a good book. One of the latest books that I have been reading is the a book on the history of Betty Crocker, I will be further reviewing this book for the upcoming "What I have been reading Wednesday." I can tell you that so far I have been loving this book.

     One thing that really struck me and impressed me was the Betty Crocker Homemaker's Creed. Read this creed, and tell me that it doesn't declare the nobility of homemaking. It is interesting how many people no longer see being a homemaker as a lofty pursuit, actually a lot seem to be seeing it almost as drudgery and a menial task.

     As a college educated woman I have heard this issue debated on both sides, every which way untill all parties are blue in the face. As I have mentioned before, my mother was/is a college educated woman who chose to stay home with us kids, yes we were very blessed that we had that option and I realize that many don't have that choice. However not even getting into that issue, I was impressed but the pride and dedication and commitment there was to creating a home.

     My mother could have climbed the corporate ladder, I am sure of it. She would have been tremendously successful in business, however she was even more successful as a homemaker and a mother, and she took great pleasure in doing just that. I appreciate so much that she taught me to make a house a home, and to make the family the top prority. I love this creed, I think I want to print it out and put it in my kitchen, but also it has reminded me that I need to create my own creed to live by, and the creed for my own home, so that is what I am going to be focusing on. Because I like Betty Crocker believe that, "the home must be an influence for good in the neighborhood, the community, the country." Thanks Betty for reminding me, and thanks Mom for living it

No comments: