Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Key Lime Creme Brulee

I love desserts, and I love the rich, creamy desserts especially, custards, flan, pot de creme, creme brulees are my favorites.  It always feels so indulgent when I have them, its a true treat.  So many people don't make creme brulee because they think it is to complicated or too time consuming.  Creme brulee is one of the easiest desserts that I make, yet it always impresses people, plus the child in me loves using the culinary torches, after all everyone loves fire. 

I know that I have shared creme brulee recipes before, there are just so many decadent recipes out there for creme brulee, but I do love usually key lime flavored anything so this is a real home run, try these next time that you have company, the guest will love it!

Key Lime Creme Brulee

Ingredients

3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
8 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
Garnish: lime peel or fresh mint sprigs

Directions
Preheat oven to 325ºF.   Place cream and 1/4 cup sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in lime juice. Remove bean.

Beat egg yolks and lime peel in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Divide among six 6-ounce ramekins. Place cups in large baking pan. Pour in enough hot water to come half way up sides of cups.

Bake until just edges are set custard jiggles but is not too runny, about 35 minutes. Remove from water bath and let cool at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar evenly over each custard. Use torch to melt and caramelize sugar, or broil about 2 minutes, watching carefully and rotating cups. Let stand until sugar hardens or chill 15 minutes to 2 hours. Garnish if desired with mint and lime slices.

1 comment:

Amee said...

That's a great twist on a classic. I don't usually like additions to my Brûlée but that one sounds tempting enough for me to break the rules. Lovely recipe!