Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tailgating Food- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

I love this time of year, I wish it was always fall with the crisp air, the changing colors, and the COLLEGE FOOTBALL!  When I was in college I loved to dress up and go to the games, now that I am miles and miles aways from there I make sure I dress up on game day and cheer on my team. 

There are so many different tailgating foods, and I LOVE all of them, bit I especially love these poppers, they are completely addictive!  I could eat the whole batch all by myself I am afraid, once you start eating these you will keep going back for more. 

These are really simple to make, the only advice that I give on this recipe is to use gloves when making these.  I suppose it isn't really necessary, but I find my eyes never water make this recipe if I have gloves on my hands, crazy I know, but it works.  Bring these to any tailgating party and it will be a complete hit!

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese softened
6 oz shredded Monterrey Jack
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 large jalapenos
12 slices of bacon
toothpicks

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet (for cleaning up melted cheese).

Mix together cheeses, garlic, salt, and pepper. Unless you have the super strength or some exceptionally soft cream cheese, you will probably need to use a hand mixer for this.  Cut each jalapeno in half from stem to tip forming a long, shallow container. Use a small paring knife or a small spoon to scrape out seeds and membranes without breaking through the flesh of the jalapeno.  Use gloves if needed.

Use a spoon to fill each jalapeno half with cheese mixture, mounding slightly.  Cut bacon slices in half and wrap one half slice around each jalapeno, securing with a tooth pick.

Place jalapenos, cheese side up, on the rack over the baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until the bacon is fully cooked.

Remove the tray from the oven and let the jalapenos cool to room temperature before serving.

Alternately, you can grill the jalapenos about 10 minutes or until the underside bacon is crisp, then finish them in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops are crisped and browned.
Depending on the size of your jalapenos you will have some filling leftover, so it is always good to have few extra jalapenos on hand.

No comments: