Monday, September 5, 2011

Meatless Monday...Grilled Tofu Steaks

It is another Monday!  Can you believe its Labor Day and the summer is gone already?  Where did the time go?  I am always on the lookout for healthier main
dishes, and I have to admit I have never been a huge tofu fan.  In my town there is a restaurant that cooks nothing but tofu, so I decided to give it a shot and see what I would like to try for myself.

I tried a few different variations, but the one that really hit the spot was a grilled tofu steak.  I haven't done too much cooking with tofu so it took some practicing in the kitchen to come up with this recipe, but I love it!  Definitely will please all of your friends vegetarian or not.

Grilled Tofu Steaks

Marinade
1/2 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon natural hickory seasoning liquid smoke
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
Dash Tabasco Sauce
2 pounds (1 kg) extra firm tofu cut into 12 slabs

To make the marinade, combine the lemon juice, water, olive oil, tomato paste, liquid smoke, soy sauce, salt, and Tabasco Sauce in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and stir well to distribute the seasonings evenly.

Place the tofu steaks into the marinade and turn to coat them on both sides. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days, turning once or twice each day.
Place the tofu steaks in a grill basket and grill over hot coals 4 to 7 minutes on each side, brushing with the marinade each time you turn the basket.   Garnish with fresh sage leaves.

No comments: