Monday, September 26, 2011

Meatless Monday...Butternut Risotto


  I am in love with the fall and I love making risotto in the fall, it is truly one of the best fall dishes out there.  I know that last week for Meatless Monday it was a risotto, but I really couldn't resist doing another.  One of my readers mentioned a butternut risotto that they usually make in the fall, and it made me think of my own butternut risotto.  It is so rich and creamy, and just plain delicious! 

     I also love that this is a pretty economical meal to make, sometimes mushrooms can get pricey, but in the fall squash is usually pretty inexpensive and accessible.  This is usually a main dish risotto when I make it, just because I usually find it to be so rich that I am good with just the risotto alone for a meal.  I would love to hear what your traditional fall dishes are, I am always looking for amazing new recipes!  Let me know what you think!

Butternut Risotto

Ingredients

7 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian)
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided into 4 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced
2 cups aborio rice
 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions

Heat broth in medium sized saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Melt 4 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan; add onion and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add rice to onion and squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.  Add a few ladles of broth, just enough to barely cover rice. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Add remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and chives.  Add salt to taste. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.