Tuesday, September 6, 2011

From my Southern Kitchen

As I have mentioned several times before, I do like to think of myself as a Southern girl, and I love the Southern Belle lifestyle, especially the hospitality and entertaining and cooking.  As well all know there has certainly been interest lately in all things Southern, a lot due to the current book and movie, The Help

I will actually be reviewing the book later this week, but for now I will just say that it is an amazing book that I have thoroughly enjoyed.  A dear friend of mine has also read the book and asked me about a recipe that they mention in the book, Corn Pone.  Being a northern girl aka. "Yankee" she knew nothing of corn pone and johnny cakes, two staples of Southern cuisine.  These are my personal recipes for corn pone and johnny cakes, they are not the healthiest dishes ever, but they do taste amazing, I especially love to have them with fresh butter and local honey, delicious!

Love From Scratch Corn Pone

1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bakng soda
2 tbsp butter, butter or bacon fat
1/3 - 1/2 cup water or milk

Mix cornmeal, baking powder and soda. Rub in margarine, until it is crumb-like. Mix in milk until it is at a dropping consistency. Fry in a hot frying pan by spoonfuls in margarine, butter or bacon grease until golden brown.

*healthier variation: instead of frying place the mixture in cornbread molds and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Love From Scratch Johnny Cakes

1/2 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup hot water or milk
1 tablespoon shortening

Mix the dry ingredients, then stir in the rest. Drop or pour on the hot, greased griddle or iron skillet and fry to a golden brown on both sides.

No comments: