Friday, September 16, 2011

Baking Nostalgia

I love baking, there is something so relaxing and rewarding about mixing all of these separate ingredients together, and coming up with a masterpiece.  I love also the waiting and watching, the anticipation of the rising of the scones, and watching them turn golden brown as the aroma fills the home.  I find great satisfaction in cooking, maybe that is why I love it so much.  I always feel like I can express myself in the kitchen, sometimes I feel sassy so I make spicy food, other times, like today I feel nostalgic, and it seems like whenever I feel nostalgic I bake.

My mother is an excellent baker, being the only daughter, and sister to very hungry brothers my mother had lots of reasons to bake.  Most days when I would come home from school my mother had some sort of treat fresh from the oven out waiting for us.  Even though I haven't been living at home for a long time whenever I smell baked goods, I remember those days coming home from school with my backpack on seeing mom waiting for us.  My mom taught me so much about baking and cooking with love, it was always her number one ingredient.  Whoever you make these scones for, they will make them feel special I can guarantee, today I am making these for a dear friend of mine recovering from a surgery.  I hope they brighten her day, I think I am going to make some soup to go with them as well.  Soup and scones brighten up every one's day though, don't they?

Cranberry Orange Scones

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chilled buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into large bowl. Mix in orange peel. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in dried cranberries. Gradually add buttermilk, turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead briefly to bind dough, and form dough into 1-inch-thick round. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet 10 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

Kim - Liv Life said...

Awww! You gotta love moms! I love having fresh treats for my kids when then get home too, I hope they think of me as nicely as you do your mom.
I have memories of my mom making my favorites too!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I've been completely addicted to the cranberry orange scones at Starbucks lately. I'll have to give these a try to save myself the drive and the money!