Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baked Apple Goodness

I know I keep blogging about how much I love the fall, but as it is my favorite time of year I just can not help myself.  There is something so wonderful with changing colors and fresh apples baking in the oven.  It is a time of change and transition.  There is something also so comforting and relaxing about a baked apple, it just makes you smile with all of its cinnamony spicy goodness.
I am a big fan of traditions, and I try to have traditions for every season. Fall is the season for tailgating, football games, jumping in leaf piles (yes I still do that), a season for cleaning and organizing the house and decorating.  However my favorite tradition might have to be me kicking back with a baked apple and watching the entire series of Anne of Green Gables, I watch that every fall at least once and it always brings back so many memories, course I have also used this recipe while watching Pride & Prejudice (BBC Version) and so many other movies, it just it nice to sit back and savor a moment.  These are super easy to make, and also a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen, and definitely a lighter dessert than some of the others out there, plus your home will smell amazing!

Love From Scratch Baked Apples

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
6 apples, ( I use grannys or golden & red delicious usually)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup apple cider, juice is fine too though
1/4 cup toasted oatmeal
1/4 cup toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, oatmeal, nuts and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.

Core apples, making sure not to puncture the bottom of the apples. Remove skin from 1/2-inch around top of apples at the opening.

Fill each cavity with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top each apple with a teaspoon of butter.  Place apples in glass dish and pour apple juice around them. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from heat and serve.

1 comment:

The Blind Bride said...

I have all of these ingredients! I am going to make this tomorrow!