Thursday, September 1, 2011

Autumn is Here!

It is September already, can you believe it?  I love the fall, its my favorite time of year, the football games, the falling leaves, the crisp air, the orange pumpkins lining the front porches, the caramel apples.  What a magical time of year.  I love to curl up on my couch with a good book and a nice quilt, for me Autumn is the only season.  For me I have always associated this time of year with great memories, which always leaves me with a profound sense of gratitude.

September also happens to be mushroom appreciation month.  I love the earthiness of mushrooms, and how they can just melt in your mouth, I love the aroma as you cook them in your kitchen.  Indeed I will eat anything with mushrooms, my fiancee however will not eat anything with mushrooms.  I am trying to turn him into a mushroom convert, I am sure he will see the light...I hope.  Mushrooms make anything taste better, I have tons of recipes on how to use these little delectables, but this recipe is one of my staples.  It is just a basic mushroom sauce, but you can use it on everything.  This is one of my favorite sauce recipes.

Love From Scratch Mushroom Sauce
Recommended mushrooms: Black trumpets, chanterelle mushrooms, or anything flavorful and delicate.  Morels or porcini are also a great choice. Portabellos and button mushrooms work as well.

Ingredients:

1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
3 Tbsp Butter
1 cup broth
1 shallot minced
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 cup white wine 
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until they have started to brown, around 3 - 5 minutes.
Transfer the mushrooms and garlic & shallot mixture from the skillet to a plate or a dish and begin making the roux. Melt the remaining butter or oil over medium low heat. Whisk in the flour, allowing it to cook for a minute or two.
Slowly whisk in the broth, wine, lemon juice, and cream. Do it thoroughly, as you want the whole mixture to be smooth, not lumpy.
Add the mushroom/shallot mixture to the roux. Stir and simmer until the final result has the desired gravy consistency, about 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm like you; I really like snuggling in the warm when it's cold outside. The best times are when it's really stormy or snowing very heavily. :) Lovely. As another mushroom fan, I really like the sound of your mushroom sauce, so I will have to give that a go.