Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dutch Baby Goodness!

     I know that this might not be the most photogenic recipe ever, but so amazing and so easy to make.  I have so many memories of this recipe, the first time I ever had it was when I was in elementary school, and my older brother was in junior high, he had learned this recipe in his home economics class that was required for all students.  Gone are the days of home economics in school, but we loved this recipe.

     I am not sure what his original recipe was that he used, but this is what I have come up with and use in my own kitchen.  This is perfect for a nice Saturday morning breakfast, and you can always garnish is however you wish.   Amazing! Also this is a nice recipe for kids to make on their own if they want to make a nice breakfast for Mother's or Father's Day, or any such occasion, or just make it for yourself and indulge!


Dutch Baby Recipe

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
Lemon wedges & Powdered sugar for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Set the remaining tablespoon of melted butter aside to cool slightly. Wait 10 minutes before assembling the other ingredients.
Place the flour, vanilla sugar, salt, milk, eggs and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into blender or food processor and process for 30 seconds. Carefully pour the batter into the preheated skillet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are puffed and brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with lemon wedges.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I have always loved this pancake. I try to make it every chance I get.

Susan Lindquist said...

I love this breakfast treat ... we had a young German exchange student who made it for us and we are ever thankful of his gift to us! I just got a cookbook from the CIA cooking school and there is a Dutch Baby pancake with peaches inside the center ... so yummy!